Saturday, August 11, 2012

Down Time Revelations

Saturday mornings are times when I recharge. I turn off the television. No news, not even the ever-safe Weather Channel. No Internet other than to log in exercise times or to update my workout status or send a bit of encouragement within my favorite run groups. Sometimes I don't even go as far as checking in with them.

The only noise I hear is the soothing tunes from one of my many playlists that was created exclusively for down time. Even my hyper dog channels down for these moments. A slow, leisurely breakfast in the morning. No newspapers allowed...only a magazine, and even then those are strictly limited to my feel-good favorites: Runner's World, Cooking Light or Organic Gardening. Sometimes I forgo the reading and commune with sips of coffee.

This morning I set the table as usual and prepared my breakfast from the Shaun T meal plan. The coffee came out just shy of perfect, but still good enough that I will be awake and yet simultaneously calm. I was reading an article about the Manitou Springs incline and wondered if I should add it to the list of things I want to do in my lifetime. What really drew me in was that even though this was a very elite group of people that climb this incline, I wasn't that far from joining this group. In fact, wasn't I already part of the great runner culture? Didn't I do serious inclines just months ago? I am in fact a runner now. I can say that now.

Ten years ago if you asked me if I would be part of this community, I would never have seen it happen. It flew into the face of my idea of down time. But after I finished my quiet, leisurely yet very healthy breakfast, I walked past my exercise calendar and realized how well this community fits into my life. How much this community and the mentality that goes with it meshes into my life. I like the feel after exercising. I love the aftermath of a cleansing run. I like the fresh taste of healthier food. I want this to be part of my life...I want this to be my life.

I like this lifestyle, and I love being part of the runner family.

No comments:

Post a Comment