Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fat American

Another study on how fat America is and how much fatter it's going to get just came out. I'm feeling sensitive and defensive because, well...I'm fat. I feel like the world is looking at me and blaming me and my fat cohorts for everything from the economy to global warming.

Even after my race--my first 10K--the guy who helped take my monstrously heavy bag to my car asked me if I was going to "start taking care of [myself] now." I ripped into him so hard he was babbling apologies. The problem with being at the beginning of your journey is that no one sees it except for you and the people that are always around you...and sometimes even that isn't enough (see "Have you lost weight yet?" post) because being healthy is wrapped up in size. And it can be exhausting.

It's even more exhausting when you know that despite your size, you are healthier than they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment