Thursday, February 16, 2012

Running from my problems

Outside of that awesome experience at the 5K, this year has not started off well. Hitting the pavement or the track is rapidly becoming my Prozac. Sometimes I want to run until the problems in my life just disappear behind me. I just want to keep going and leave everything behind and start off brand new. New name, new everything. I was so burned out today that the track trip was going to get cancelled. But I went, because it needed to be done. Something in me wouldn't let me curl up on the couch and cry like normal. And I'm glad I went, because it feels like at least some of those demons have been exorcised out of me.

For a couple of days, I thought about passing up the 5K. It felt financially irresponsible to travel to a race given my situation. But now I realize how much I needed that race. I needed that great moment and that great memory. I needed it. Balance is a necessity when life kicks you around like a Gitmo guard. Even though my problems were still waiting for me at home, for a moment I got to run away from them. It took some of the wind out of the pain. The finish line of that race was my salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment