Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The cost of becoming a runner

I read only once that being a runner was expensive. It was a lone sentence in a mountain of information. At the time, the sentence did not apply and seemed that it would never apply to me. After all, my only objective was to run, and that was free, right?

But as I am taking this endeavor more seriously, the glaring cost of being a runner is hitting me in the face. It's not for vanity, either. High quality products are an important investment. Yes, you can run in cheap shoes. You can run barefoot for crying out loud. The reality, however, is that I am a novice on the large end of the size spectrum, and I have to take into account the force that will go through my body as my feet hit the pavement. I have never been the type of person that counted on reacting to an issue. I can and will react to a situation, but my mantra has always revolved around prevention. I don't want to treat injury. I don't want to deal with illness. I want to stop them from coming into being.

So I'm looking at things that seasoned runners buy to enhance their running, but for me, it would be a contribution to prevention. But the price is escalating. Compression socks, shirts that don't leave germy sweat clinging to me are becoming more important. Oh, don't get me started on sports bras. At my size, there is no such thing as a sports bra under $60.00. And let's not forget entry fees to races. Sheesh. There should be a government grant for runners since everyone and their proverbial mother is screaming about how much obesity costs taxpayers.

But I need to refocus my thoughts on this. Like any investment, there is concern. There is fear. There is hesitation. But an investment in your health doing an activity that you actually look forward to is destined to have a helluva payout.

No comments:

Post a Comment