Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Race #9: PhantomRunner 5K

This morning I did another virtual race, the PhantomRunner 5K. The charity for the Fall race was Homes for Our Troops.

But something else wonderful happened this morning, too. I got up and did this race in the pre-dawn hours of the day. Sure, it was technically morning, but as far as nature was concerned, it was still night. A very dark, pitch night. The decision to do this run was out of necessity. I had a really busy day ahead of me and knew that doing this race in the afternoon was out of the question. Therefore, the decision was made to do this run very early in the morning...while it was still dark.

The air carried a quiet that could only exist while the rest of the world was still in bed. My feet hit the pavement with only one goal, and that was to complete that 5K. That dark was so incredibly soothing to me; it was just as peaceful and serene as I imagined. I truly understand why so many runners I know choose to run in the hours before sunrise. The end of my run was greeted by the sunrise, and I felt at peace and vindicated. A fear had been conquered. A redemption had been achieved. This is a benchmark in my journey, one that carries more weight than the finish line of my first race. I fought my fear and won.

I ran at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment