Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The fallibility of scales

I decided that I would make another attempt to document my weight loss/gain/whatever so that I can use it as a guide to tailor my training plan. There are no photos of models motivating me on this; if I am smaller, I can run faster and that is what matters to me.

So this morning, at the time I have determined that I weight the least (since weight can fluctuate as much as six pounds during a day). I weighed myself six times within a five-minute window--four times in the exact same spot--and got five different weights. My pet came in the room, I "gained" two pounds. Pet kicked out of the room, lost a pound. Pet came back into the room and walked in front of me, lost two pounds. Pet allowed to stay in room. Pet left room voluntarily...gained almost two pounds.

I wonder how much of the weight change involved my blood pressure going up in anger about the fluctuations. I'd better do my measurements now before some cosmic force causes my equator to expand.

No comments:

Post a Comment