Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tonight, I felt like a runner

My SIL has been pretty gungho about exercising, and I am eager to keep up...at least I'm trying to do that.

I'm currently attempting for the umpteenth time to finish the active. com marathon training program. I have never made it this far in the program before. It hasn't been easy, especially with the double workout in the evening. Yet I am determined to continue this, despite the fact that I feel like I've been beaten up by ninjas the next day. In fact, I've been bribing myself with the promise of a monthly reward for finishing all of my workouts. Right now, I'm looking at this month's potential award: a toaster. I'm not talking about some crap-happy, crumb-collecting, can't-toast-a-bagel-worth-s***-from-Walmart toaster, I mean a really nice toaster.

But the final decision is up in the air on a potential reward.

Last night, we walked over 4 mi. Tonight, we did another 4 mi + hills. I was supposed to run today. That heavily hilly nighttime stroll did a number on my legs, reducing them to jelly. Yet I still wanted to run. After we all said our goodbyes and went to our respective homes, I went inside, and I ran.

I ran up and down the hallway, in the living room and around the coffee table. That was my route. Despite the air conditioning, I still sweated, even more so than out in the soul-sucking humidity which is the hallmark of a Southern summer's eve. I ran with my Nike app, afraid that it would betray me and post my stats on Facebook. I ran indoors around furniture until I reached 2.13 mi. It wasn't however, the distance that gave me reason to celebrate. My gait had widened. I have been dredging along with an embarrassing 18 min run. Tonight, I got as low as 12 minutes. That may seem like a joke to the more seasoned runner, but tonight, I felt like I was flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment