Sunday, June 30, 2013

"You've done this before"

In 2001, I left the Air Force and was very much overweight. Between 2001 and 2003 I lost 100lbs with diet, exercise, and decreasing a LOT of negative stress in my life.  I moved, went to college and made some really wonderful friends. I lost that tremendous amount of weight kept it off for three years. My weight came back with a vengeance, however, after a combination of medical issues and being KO'd by one-too-many life crises. I stayed the same large size for almost six years, yet people would still approach me and treat me as if I murdered someone because I gained the weight back. Even strangers would ask, "What happened? You used to be so much smaller!" Often I would hurt their feelings right back, but never as much as they hurt mine. It took my brother to get me back in my good place. He said, "Even if you did gain it back, how many people can say they've lost 100lbs? You still did it. You've at least done it before."
So I think that will be my mantra: You've done this before. 

Weightloss wasn't my primary goal for becoming a runner. I just honestly like being a runner. Still, I take comfort in being reminded that I've walked down the weightloss road before. This time, however, I will run it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment